Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vol. 1 No. 20 What about running shoes?

A lot of people like to remember what they put on their feet in 50's and 60's.

From Ernie Cunliffe:

I had a pair of Riddell leather shoes (heavy) with oak insoles. Ran 1:57 + in CIF sectionals. UCLA got me a pair of Adidas before the CIF
Southern finals = 1:54.7 I suspect that was against the NCAA rules but UCLA was really hustling me and USC was hustling
my Dad with all sorts of illegal offers, $$, clothes, shoes etc. Don't recall an offer of a car !!

Also at the LA Times indoor meet 61 or 63 just as I was about to step on the track for the 1000, Cliff Severn comes up to me with
a pair of shoes and asks me to give them to Jim Grelle. I was pissed and told Cliff off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, too, got my first pair of adidas shoes from Clifford Severn’s.

No comments:

V 14 N. 19 Query on Dave and Don Styron

 Asking any of you who read this blog if you know if Dave and Don Styron who ran at  NE Louisiana and Southern Illinois in the early 1960...